today I dehaired six red deer hides: took me 1,5 hours. And I did not try to be fast.
I received them six days ago, washed them immediately and put them into the buck. The bucking liquor was an old one from august this year. A professional tanner told me to reuse the old bucking liquor but to refresh it before reuse with 2/3 of the initial quantity of hydrated lime. It would thus become what he called "sharper" than the initial buck.
The initial quantity was 120l of water and 1,2kg of hydrated lime. After the last hides I had 80l of water left in the barrel. So, I added another 40l of water and then 2/3 of hydrated lime i.e. 800g.
Dehairing was a real child's play. No hard pushing on the hairs; just pushing the scraper down with ease.
However, the guy also told me that the bucking would become inefficient at temperatures below 59°F (15°C) which, at least in this case is not exact because temperatures during the last week were well below 50°F (10°C).
Hair from six hides
I made two flint scrapers. Both handles are yew and the stone is flint hafted with birch bark tar. The scraping went very well although not as fast as with a metal scraper.
Braining the hide with bone marrow.
I collected the marrow from 24 red deer legs. The greasing went well and the major part of the marrow soaked into the hide. Softening went ok but I didn't get the pelt real soft after the first softening (was my first brained pelt). I will regrease it the coming week to get it really soft. I'll show pics of the pelt when soft. The fur is very nice though, looks like polar bear J. The hairs are very soft and hold very well to the hide although I heavily staked and rubbed the hide.