I always wanted a Native American drum, but was put off by the price. So the wife bought me an 18” Bodhran with case & tipper for $45 for my birthday. I was thrilled with the nice thick case. The drum however had much to be desired. The head was paper thin goat with cheap nickel tacks and poorly constructed cross brace. I removed the tacks & head (saved it for another project), pried off the extra inner band of wood the tacks went in and cut the wire nails holding the cross brace. A good sanding revealed a decent lemon wood frame. Living in Amish country, I have a steady supply of unwanted deer skins and still had 3 hanging in the basement. Using the thickest buck hide, I laid out an 18” circle with 3” for the frame and 1” overlap centered over the spine. A half hide gave me another 18” square area of spine from which to cut lace. A good soak in the tub over night (and a great scrubbing of the tub the next morning before the wife took her shower) had the hide just right for stretching. Not wanting to be short, I cut 50’ of ¼” lace and only needed about 30’. When I finished lacing, re tightening and centering, I trimmed the lace to about 10’, wound it in a bundle & tied it with a heavy duty hair band which made wrapping the handle so much easier. Also, watched this video about 5 times and had it qued up while working on the drum. After 5 hrs of work and the assistance of my 4 & 7 year old daughters, we have an heirloom. Thanks for looking & hope I inspired someone.